Saturday, December 26, 2009

I Would Like To Know When Exactly I Marry Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Become Zooey Deschanel.

After returning from an great brunch in the city with my family, I watched a movie I had been meaning to see for ages: (500) Days of Summer. Ohmygod. A little obsessed right now. I loved everything about it, from the muted color palette of the whole film, JGL's face, the story to the music...I can't get enough. Zooey Deschanel's wardrobe was incredible and makes me want to run into Anthropologie and strip every mannequin.This clip wasn't in the movie, but sums up everything I love about these two.



So my consistancy with posting has been a little off lately, which probably isn't a great way to start off a blog. This week has been much busier than I thought it would be, starting with my day trip to NYC and then finishing the week off with the holiday sport of eating.

New York was fun and great mother-daughter bonding time, but a day is always too little. We started our day at the Japanese bookstore, Kinokuniya Books, where I could have easily spent the entire day. The variety of books and magazines they had was astonishing. Unfortunately things are expensive there since everything is imported, but I was able to pick up some things for myself and a gift or two. There are entire magazines dedicated to anything from nail art to crafts for your cats. I wanted to get it all, but I limited myself to street style magazines. I got an issue of Fruits and an issue of Street, both will provide inspiration for eons. Here are some images and my favorite looks from the mags, I apologize for my absolutely shit photography (I had to use my Canon SD1000 which pales in comparison to my moms Panasonic Lumix Digital SLR). Maybe a scanner would come in handy.

 
 


 
 
 

After we forced ourselves to leave, we headed uptown to Bloomingdales. My mom wanted to show me this British clothing line called All Saints which apparently is only sold in New York at Bloomindales. The line is pure genius. Incredible price point and even better designs. The pieces are timeless. The best way for me to describe the line is if Rick Owens had a child with William Rast, sort of rock and roll, but avant-garde at the same time. We were there for quite a while, mainly because I tried on the entire line. After many difficult decisions I came away with this sweater and necklace.


photo credit: www.us.allsaints.com
The picture doesn't do this sweater justice. You can wear it in a million different ways, pull it down to a dress, an off the shoulder sweater, a cowl neck, super baggy, turn it upside down...it's really endless.

I lost my favorite silver chain this semester, so I have been on the prowl for a replacement. This is so much better than what I had before. 


photo credit: www.us.allsaints.com 

Here is a detail of the shenanigans hanging off:

 

photo credit: www.us.allsaints.com

There is an incredibly dangerous sale on their website with free shipping to the US. Goodbye birthday money. Before we had to catch our bus back home, we stopped at FIT for a well executed exhibit on the evolution of Day and Evening wear. Any time I see a piece from Marc Jacobs's stint at Perry Ellis I get chills. At the exhibit they had an incredible suit made from a gingham picnic tablecloth-like fabric covered in embroidered ants (I think from his first collection in 1988) along with a knitwear ensemble Rodarte's infamous Fall 2008 collection (You know the one with the knit stockings and knit dress). Enough of me blabbing about fashion collections that I don't have pictures of, overall it was an awesome display. 

I realize this post is getting a little long, so I am going to stop here, but there is much to come in my next post, including but not limited to a Norma Kamali jacket circa 1986, original rock posters from Tokyo Police Club and Flight of the Conchords, and too many belts.

No comments:

Post a Comment